1. Quiet! Dad is trying to figure out how to pay all the bills! They keep on coming even though his pay is reduced. He needs to keep track of the ones he can’t pay yet so he can pay them first when we get some money. It’s so hard to make ends meet in this economy!
2. I really look up to Ana. She’s quiet, and she doesn’t stand out in a crowd, but she’s dependable. You know if she promises something she’ll follow through with it.
3. Bill finally got in touch with his mother. He realized he can’t take his parents for granted; they won’t be around forever. He said he needed to take advantage of his opportunity to call her while she can still hear the telephone!
4. Can you cover for me while I’m in the meeting? I’ll take some of your patients the next time you need a break.
5. Jim often misses work, but he always shows up when there’s an office party.
6. Those bills aren’t our responsibility. It’s up to the Accounting Department to pay them.
7. You made so many mistakes on this essay you should just do it over.
8. That cat is always in the way. I tripped over her again, and almost fell down.
9. If you put off resolving the problem with Joe, it will go on getting worse.
10. Since Barbara brought up the layoffs, I think we should discuss them first.
11. You need to make up the time you missed when you were sick.
12. That storyteller makes up interesting stories. I never know how they will turn out . Will the lovers make up after their fight? Will the good guys win? Read on!
13. A man’s drowning! Can you swim? It’s up to you to rescue him!
14. You can’t back out now! You promised to finish the costume before the play!
15. Some boys love to take apart clocks or motors so they can figure out how to put them together again.
16. Our supervisor looked into buying new equipment so she could get rid of the old.
17. Maria was so scared of the test she passed out before the teacher even finished passing out all the exams.
18. Once when my friend was shopping until very late, her husband got worried. When she got home he told her, “I was about to call the police!”
19. All the people in my department are friendly. We get along well with each other.
20. Watch out ! (or: Look out!) The boss is in such a bad mood he blew up at Larry over a very small mistake.
21. When you read, it isn’t necessary to look up every word you don’t know.
22. Karen is so patient she put up with her husband’s messiness for a long time before she complained.
23. Tim’s joke went right over my head. Tim really gets on my nerves sometimes; what he says is silly and doesn’t make sense. You showed up just in time; I was about to blow up at him.
24. He had to give up eating doughnuts for breakfast when he got diabetes.
25. If you miss class, you need to do extra homework to catch up with your classmates.
26. The doctor says I should cut down on all fatty foods, but he says I need to cut out potato chips entirely.
27. People shouldn’t put off seeing the doctor when they’re afraid they have cancer. If it really is cancer, it’s better to catch it early.
28. Don’t come back to work until you get over the flu.
29. Be sure to buy enough bread and eggs, so you won’t run out of food when your grandchildren are visiting you.
30. I asked Sue, “Who looks after (or takes care of) your baby while you work?”