Learn and practice likely TOEFL and IELTS vocabulary on the pages below to prepare for either exam.
On this page you can find:
• practice with IELTS vocabulary on topics of everyday life, to help you prepare for the speaking and listening tests (as well as for living in English-speaking countries),
• academic vocabulary practice for the TOEFL and IELTS and for university study and professional work in English.
Both sections are arranged with related pages together. They generally start with easier vocabulary and then give pages with more difficult words to practice.
Both the IELTS & the TOEFL sections will have many pages that can help you prepare for either exam.
I will be adding more pages to this section soon, but you can start with these:
• Medical Vocabulary (It includes a lot of health and illness vocabulary, as well as words for doctor visits, tests, and treatments.)
• Personality Vocabulary (These words are useful for job resumes (CVs) as well as for describing yourself or your friends.)
• Be a Word Detective (words relating to detective investigations)
• Writing Test Vocabulary (explains and tests essential instruction words)
• Online Crossword: Essential Academic Vocabulary (This crossword includes some writing test vocabulary—so you might want to study that page first.)
• Advanced Adjective Opposites Matching Games: The next three pages also practice matching adjectives with the opposites:
• Practice Common Prefixes (This page and the next use many common academic words.)
• Practice (and Play with) Negative Prefixes.
• Vocabulary for Violence (includes some very ugly words—that you need to know to understand the news in English.)
Most of these pages use somewhat less common academic vocabulary—and a lot of words at once. Don’t start with these, but do try them once you know most of the more basic words above. They are also from the Academic Word List, and will be used in textbooks, university lectures, and on tests like the TOEFL.
• Conservation Terminology (on Global warming)
• Academic Vocabulary (with J.F. Kennedy's 1961 State of the Union address)
• President Obama on Polish Freedom (Academic Vocab Practice 3.)
See Vocabulary Games for vocabulary practice arranged by type of game (puzzles, word scrambles, matching, and gapfills) and English Language Tests for general test preparation suggestions as well as a listing of quizzes and tests. (Most are also included on this page, but here by organized by topic.)
Home> TOEFL & IELTS Vocabulary Practice.